Monday 15 February 2010

Mutta Thilappichathu/Egg Curry and Awards!!!

Soon after marriage, I got an exposure to the darker sides of the deal - on one side were the hearts & teddy bears but on the other side was the challenge of cooking on your own!  Like the majority, I also started my culinary experiments with eggs.  A bit ridiculous in my case!!!  Mom had made me attend a cooking course as part of her 'marriage training' where I learned many delicacies like biriyani, fried rice, cakes, samossas etc that made me overconfident while stepping into my own kitchen only to realise with shock that I never learned to make normal plain matta(Kerala brown rice) or a dal curry or upma let alone cleaning and cutting fish.  As a result the dining table during our honeymoon days was a flop show ramp with sticky upma, overcooked rice, mashed cabbage mezhukkupuratti and the best of all, the show stopper - fried fish with the scales on!!! Poor A - my everfaithful guinea pig, was like 'A Husband in Horror-land'!!! How he would have regreted for not earning the basic kitchen survival techniques instead of washing vessels for his buddies who did all the cooking during his bachelorhood.

Coming to the topic, mutta thilappichathu is an easy preparation where the eggs are not preboiled.  Here we are adding them directly into the gravy, saving time that way and since they are getting cooked in the gravy more flavours get absorbed by the eggs making it more tastier.  


You will need...

Eggs - 6
Shallots(cheriya ulli) - 6-7 sliced
Green chillies - 3-4 slitted lengthwise
Curry leaves - few
Ginger - 1/2 inc piece crushed
Vinegar - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Water - 1 cup
Milk - 1/2 cup
Oil - as needed


Soak turmeric and chilly powders in little water to a paste and keep aside. In a heavy bottomed pan or curry chatti(terracotta cooking pan) heat oil, saute shallots, green chillies and ginger until onions are translucent.  Reduce heat and add the soaked turmeric and chilly paste and saute for 2 minutes.  Add water, vinegar and salt, let it boil in high heat.  Break eggs into the bubbling gravy.  Do not stir, cover and cook in medium heat for 12-15 minutes.  Turn the eggs and let it cook without cover until the gravy reduces to half(steps are shown in the picture). Reduce heat and add milk.  Do not let it boil.  Serve hot with rice or roti. 

Now Coming to the Awards!!! Yippeee got a handful!!!  Thanking all my blogger friends for all the encouragement, motivation and support!!!

Jisha of Jisha's Kitchen, Swapna of SwapnaSridhar and Aparna of Ladies Special Adukkala has passed this lovely Award. Thanks a ton dearies!!!



Saraswathy of Sara's Corner, Swapna of SwapnaSridhar, Aparna of Ladies Special Adukkala has awarded me with this one.  Thank you all!!! 


Sarah of Vazhayila and Aparna of Ladies Special Adukkala has passed the Blog Loving Award to me.  Thanks a lot Aparna and Sarah!!!


I would like to pass these three Awards to all my blogger friends!!!

Swapna of SwapnaSridhar passed the Kreative Blogger Award to me. Thanks Swapna!!! 


The rules for accepting this award are 

Thank the person who gave you the award.
Copy the award to your blog.
Place a link to their blog.
Name 7 things people don't know about you.
Nominate 7 bloggers.
Place a link to those bloggers.
Place a comment letting those bloggers know about the award.

I have been tagged before.  To know more about me click here.

I would like to share this award with


Phew...that was quite long...Thanks again!!!

18 comments:

  1. The Egg Curry looks awesome. And the detailed step-by-step picture is very nice too.

    Congrats on your awards and I am honored to be a recipient. Thank you very much.

    Hope your Valentine's day was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cicily

    Egg curry looks yummy and perfect....

    Thank you so much for stopping by..Thanks for the comment too. You too have a wonderful space here..

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egg curry looks very colourful..thanks for the sharing awards with me....;))you are a sweetheart!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi dear,

    There is an award waiting for u in my blog. Please accept it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heartiest congratulations on your award.
    Egg curry looks colourful, delicious and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a fantastic and droolworthy egg curry, looks tempting Cicily.. congrats on ur awards and thanks for sharing with me..am honoured..

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, a wonderful egg curry recipe, Cicily, and congrats on awards! Thanks a lot for stopping by my blog, you have a great space here with so many declicious recipes, I am following it now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow lovely curry, vinegar should add the tangy taste to the curry yum yum yummy!!! Congrats on your awards!!!

    http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cicily! Tks for the visiting me ya!

    U've got a great page here too! I just love that egg curry! Looks really tempting..may I have a plate of that??? Hehehe...

    Take care, we'll stay in touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make a slightly different version of this... I have posted that as well... ur clicks looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Cicily!.. nice recipe with eggs, wish I can have some right now!:).. and beautiful array of pictures!!.. and thanks a ton for sharing the lovely awards with me dear:):).. I'll post it in my blog soooon:):)...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adipoli....The eggs look perfectly cooked in that aromatic gravy..

    ReplyDelete
  13. This Pic: makes me Go WILD......!!

    ReplyDelete